infp

INFP strengths and weaknesses

INFP Strengths

  • Idealistic - INFPs' friends and loved ones will come to admire and depend on them for their optimism. Their unshaken belief that all people are inherently good, perhaps simply misunderstood, lends itself to an incredibly resilient attitude in the face of hardship.
  • Seek and Value Harmony - People with the INFP personality type have no interest in having power over others, and don't much care for domineering attitudes at all. They prefer a more democratic approach, and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.
  • Open-Minded and Flexible - A live-and-let-live attitude comes naturally to INFPs, and they dislike being constrained by rules. INFPs give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, they'll support others' right to do what they think is right.
  • Very Creative - INFPs combine their intuitive nature with their open-mindedness to allow them to see things from unconventional perspectives. Being able to connect many far-flung dots into a single theme, it's no wonder that many INFPs are celebrated poets and authors.
  • Passionate and Energetic - When something captures INFPs' imagination and speaks to their beliefs, they go all in, dedicating their time, energy, thoughts and emotions to the project. Their shyness keeps them from the podium, but they are the first to lend a helping hand where it's needed.
  • Dedicated and Hard-Working - While others focusing on the challenges of the moment may give up when the going gets tough, INFPs (especially Assertive ones) have the benefit of their far-reaching vision to help them through. Knowing that what they are doing is meaningful gives people with this personality type a sense of purpose and even courage when it comes to accomplishing something they believe in.

INFP Weaknesses

  • Too Idealistic - INFPs often take their idealism too far, setting themselves up for disappointment as, again and again, evil things happen in the world. This is true on a personal level too, as INFPs may not just idealize their partners, but idolize them, forgetting that no one is perfect.
  • Too Altruistic - INFPs sometimes see themselves as selfish, but only because they want to give so much more than they are able to. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, as they try to push themselves to commit to a chosen cause or person, forgetting to take care of the needs of others in their lives, and especially themselves.
  • Impractical - When something captures INFPs' imagination, they can neglect practical matters like day-to-day maintenance and simple pleasures. Sometimes people with the INFP personality type will take this asceticism so far as to neglect eating and drinking as they pursue their passion or cause.
  • Dislike Dealing With Data - INFPs are often so focused on the big picture that they forget the forest is made of individual trees. INFPs are in tune with emotions and morality, and when the facts and data contradict their ideals, it can be a real challenge for them.
  • Take Things Personally - INFPs often take challenges and criticisms personally, rather than as inspiration to reassess their positions. Avoiding conflict as much as possible, INFPs will put a great deal of time and energy into trying to align their principles and the criticisms into a middle ground that satisfies everybody.
  • Difficult to Get to Know - INFPs are private, reserved and self-conscious. This makes them notoriously difficult to really get to know, and their need for these qualities contributes to the guilt they often feel for not giving more of themselves to those they care about.
Romantic Relationships
INTRODUCTION
Recommend
Share

Comments

Your name:
Deb
0
Aug 28, 2014 04:04:15
INFP.. I can't even watch the news anymore. It makes me too sad and upset.
NotSoOptimist
0
Aug 23, 2014 10:43:48
'Younger me' would agree 100%, but 'present me' isn't all that optimistic any more.. Ideals are hidden and protected by a hard impenetrable shell called cynicism.
Nell
0
Aug 19, 2014 06:31:44
Most of these sound very familiar, except "Dislike Dealing With Data" - if anything, I tend to freeze up without it, knowing I should do SOMETHING but not knowing what. Might be that the N part was only 10%, though. I also don't consider myself to be that creative, but that's more because self-consciousness gets in my way than anything else.
Nadia
0
Aug 07, 2014 17:28:51
I don't know any of you writing comments but i can't stop smiling and thinking thats what i would have written :)
Brie
0
Aug 05, 2014 08:50:21
Can some please explain how I can get less than 50% for the majority of my traits and still have be an INFP? I mean, this is so me, but if I get say 42% introverted then aren't I then 58% extroverted. Then shouldn't I be extroverted? I just don't understand how this system works..?
Joseph
0
Aug 09, 2014 01:09:33
what were your scores, specifically? Maybe I can help you figure them out.
Chris
0
Aug 09, 2014 18:25:25
The results don't work like that. The 42% is a probability that you will act according to certain criteria but you are incorrect in assuming that the remaining 58% would be the opposite. The 58% would be made up of other traits none of which are greater in probability than 42%. Hope this helps